The conference recognizes the need for agricultural research for development: The Zero Draft of the conference's outcome document calls on "all states to prioritize sustainable intensification of food production through increased investment in local food production, improved access to local and global agri-food markets, and reduced waste throughout the supply chain, with special attention to women, smallholders, youth, and indigenous farmers.
seven areas that need priority attention. CGIAR's main focus, "food security and sustainable agriculture," is one of those seven areas.
Bruce Campbell Ph.D. Director, CGIAR Research Progamme on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security, interviewed Dr. Frank Rijsberman, the newly appointed CEO of the CGIAR Consortium, to find out how agriculture and the environment are now "best friends."Community-designed programs"... focusing on small holder farmers?
Yes, contrary to the focus of the big agro-business, CGIAR concentrates on supporting and strengthening local production groups and small holders. Marginalized food producers, particularly women, need to be included more in the bid for sustainable development. They should be empowered to increase their production and marketing of a wide diversity of adapted and nutritious crops, many of which have been long-neglected by agricultural research. This empowerment can be achieved through a combination of basic agronomic research, strengthened land and water rights, increased access to markets, finance and insurance. While CGIAR concentrates on local research, we enhance local capacity -- where possible -- through community-based farmer organizations.SIDE EVENTS AT RIO+20
More than 500 on-site side events organized by Governments, Major Groups, Organizations from the UN system and other International Organizations will take place in RioCentro during Prepcom III (13-15 June), the Sustainable Development Dialogue Days (16-19 June) and the Summit (20-22 June).
Following side events target [African] agriculture and environment:
- Mainstreaming Organic Agriculture as a Means of Implementation International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM)
- Feeding the World: Sustainable Agriculture & Innovation International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Biotechnology and Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security Public Research and Regulation Initiative (PRRI)
- Women's Leadership in a Green Economy: Valuing Women's Contributions Women Organizing for Change in Agriculture and Natural Resource Management (WOCAN)
- From Production To Consumption - Towards A Sustainable Food System, Millennium Institute
- Fertile Soil for our Future: nourish our people - nurture our planet Biovision + Foundation for ecological Development
- Peasants Reclaiming our Future with Food Sovereignty and Agroecology LA VIA CAMPESINA - International Peasant Movement
- RECOGNIZING AFRICA'S ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT AND HARNESSING NATURAL CAPIT Senegal
- Sustainable Energy for All - implications and opportunities for Africa Practical Action Crossborder Projects of Maiombe and Kaza: The actual status of implementation Angola
- Towards Sustainable Food Security in the Sahel Niger
- African Young Scientist Initiative on Climate Change and IKS South Africa
- Workshop on the Protection of Lake Chad Chad
- Sustainable Development in the context of Regional Integration in EAC East African Community (EAC)
- FINANCING SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA African Development Bank (AFDB)
- PRIVATE SECTOR DIALOGUE IN THE CONTEXT OF GREEN ECONOMY African Development Bank (AFDB)
- Sustainable Development Goals: From 'silo thinking' towards an integrated approach. Insights from the European Report on Development European Commission
- Goals for Healthy Soils and the Role of the Global Soil Partnership European Commission
- South-South&Triangular cooperation:innovative solutions to achieve SDG ACP Secretariat
- Food for life & life of food Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)