“Emergency Agriculture and Food Security” was to gather senior and junior researchers and practitioners from Germany and abroad to discuss a new research and to identify common research interests and future research collaborations.
Extract of the programme:The participants of the workshop jointly adopted the `Berlin statement on the Role of Agriculture and Food Security in Conflict and Emergency Situations´. The statement strongly recommends further intensification of interdisciplinary cooperation in science and practice to improve humanitarian aid in crises and increase food security. Link to full Berlin Statement (Pdf)
Extract of the programme:
Session 3: Food Security, Safety, and Markets
- Maximilian P.O. Baumann (FU Berlin):"Approaches to Assess the Effects of the 2013 Civil Unrests in South Sudan on Pastoral Livelihood: A First Report from a Veterinary View"
- Jeremie Gross (NAMUR):"Activation of Food Markets and Food Security: Impact of Cereal Banks in Northern Burkina Faso”
- Jürgen Zentek (FU Berlin):"Food Safety and Security from the Food Chain Perspective: Future Role of Animal Nutrition, Threats, Opportunities, Emergencies"
Session 5: Bridging Practice and Research: Evidence for Policy
- Tilman Brück (IGZ):“Learning from Humanitarian Interventions: Methodological Considerations and a Case Study of Niger”
- Jürgen Fechter (kfw): “Crisis, Droughts, and Food Security: Challenges for the Bilateral Financial Cooperation”