Key rural development donors that support livestock development are engaged in the Inter-Agency Donor Group on pro-poor livestock research and development (IADG). Its current focus is on the promotion of public-private partnerships and bringing on board commercial companies involved in livestock value chains and to identify those issues that might encourage greater collaboration and partnership between the public and private sector institutions involved in livestock development.
- Session 1: The current state of smallholder dairy development (success stories, challenges, opportunities). Outputs: Sum up lessons learned on investments in smallholder and pastoralist dairy development: what worked, what didn’t work, what next?
- Session 2: Technical developments in research of relevance to smallholder dairy systems and beneficiaries. Outputs: Identification of tested technologies, innovations and approaches which have proven relevance to smallholder dairy producers - for promotion, further testing
- Session 3: Public Private Partnerships in dairy development. Outputs: Update guidance document for donors on how to engage the private sector in livestock focused Public-Private Partnerships
- Session 4. Design of a set of core design principles and indicators for resilient, competitive and inclusive dairy market development. Outputs: Through consideration of outputs from Sessions 1,2,3 – in breakout sessions and Plenary, compile core set of principles and indicators for donor investments in small-holder dairying
- Session 5 : Donor investments in livestock research and development. Outputs: Mechanisms to encourage greater participation of donors/funders in programme mapping to ensure information remains current/relevant.
Book of Abstracts
The current state of smallholder dairy development (success stories, challenges, opportunities)
- Jan van der Lee, Wageningen University; Nathaniel Makoni, ABS-TCM - Follow up donor collaboration agenda
- Henning Steinfeld, FAO - Dairy Developments in South Asia
- Lucia Castillo, European Commission - Sector budget support, an aid modality supporting the implementation of the national policy for competitiveness and productivity in the dairy sector in Colombia
- Jean-Jaques Soula, AFD - Small scale dairy industry in West Africa
- Michael Blümmel, ILRI - Livestock Fodder and Feed Systems: investing in year-round feeding of dairy cattle
- Vish Nene,ILRI; Danny Goovaerts, GALVmed - Livestock Health: Investing in accelerated vaccine development aimed at the diary sector
- John P. Gibson, University of New England - Livestock Genetics: On-farm genetic gains and agro-ecological genotype targeting of dairy breeds that are appropriate for smallholders in the tropics
- David Keogh, Global Good - Milk hygiene, preservation, quality and safety in smallholder systems
- Giselle Aris, Land O’ Lakes - The role of gender in smallholder dairying
- Joyce Turk, USAID - Impact of past investments in dairy research on food security and human nutrition
- Wyn Richards, Livestock Development Practice - Best practices to increase engagement of private sector in pro-poor livestock PPP's
- Jurjen Draaijer, SNV, Nairobi - The Government of the Netherlands’ experience of establishing PPPs to strengthen dairy value chains
- Antonio Rota, IFAD - IFAD’s proposed PPP model in the dairy sector
- Carola von Morstein, GIZ - Dairy Development in northern Sri Lanka – experience of a PPP approach
- Ilse Koehler-Rollefson, LPP - PPP projects with pastoralists: Experiences and Recommendations from the field
- Rachel Alcock, The Brooke - Getting milk to market - and feed and water to the cow
Design of a set of core principles and indicators for resilient, competitive and inclusive dairy market development
- Jim Yazman, USAID Bureau for Food Security - Sharing Experience in Core Design Principles and Indicators for Dairy Development Investments
Related: Published on 21 Aug 2014 Jorgen Henriksen (Henriksen Advice) n the state of meat production and dairy development projects.
Jim Yazman (USAID) on the state of meat production and dairy development projects.