FOOD 2030 hosted this high-level event on World Food Day, in partnership with the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, and the German EU presidency. The title of the event was “FOOD 2030 – Transforming food systems through Research & Innovation”.
It brought together researchers, innovators, policy makers, actors, stakeholders and civil society for a participatory discussion on the transition to sustainable food systems and, in particular, on the key role of research and innovation therein.
The European Commission has launched its Research & Innovation (R&I) policy framework FOOD2030 in 2016 as a systemic approach to tackling challenges related to our food and nutrition with R&I policies designed to make food systems more sustainable, resilient, diverse and competitive, and to bring them back in a safe and just operating space. It aims to do so by providing solutions to four overarching priorities: Nutrition for sustainable and healthy diets; Climate-smart and environmentally sustainable food systems; Circular and resource efficient food systems; Food systems innovation and empowering communities.
- Moderator: Jennifer BAKER
- John BELL (European Commission, DG Research & Innovation, Director Healthy Planet)
- Rodrigo DE LAPUERTA MONTOYA (FAO, Director Liaison Office with the European Union and Belgium)
- Anja KARLICZEK (German Federal Minister of Education and Research)
- Discussing food system transformation with John BELL
- Daria WOHLT (Team Member of ByProFood)
- Lucrecia BELLIDO (Members of the Team for H2Grow)
- Philipp MERK & Adrian KAPSALIS (Founders of Loewi)
Keynote: How Can R&I Accelerate the Ongoing Food Systems Transformation Towards Sustainability?
- Prof. Dr. Joachim VON BRAUN (Director of the Department of Economic and Technological Change at the Center of Development Research at Bonn University, Chair of the Scientific Group for the UN Food System Summit)
- Nathalie CHAZE (European Commission, DG Health and Food Safety, Director Food sustainability, international relations)
- Martin FRICK (Deputy to the Special Envoy for the UN Food Systems Summit 2021 at United Nations)
- Diane HOLDORF (World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Managing Director Food & Nature)
- Emma CHOW (Ellen MacArthur Foundation, Lead Food Initiative)
- Irène TOLLERET (Member of the European Parliament, co-chair of the Wine, Spirits and quality Foodstuffs Intergroup and co-founder of the European Food Forum)
Mariya GABRIEL (EU Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth)
John BELL (European Commission, DG Research & Innovation, Director Healthy Planet)
- Webinar 1: RRI in the food systems (10 March 2020)
- Webinar 2: Cities as change agents: building competences for future food systems (03 June 2020)
- Webinar 3: Transforming our food systems: Research and Innovation as an enabler of the Farm to Fork Strategy (09 June 2020)
- Webinar 4: RRI in policy making for future-proof food systems (14 July 2020)