The objectives of the Congress are to:
- Provide a platform to discuss rice science and technology aimed at improving rice production, processing and marketing along the value chain whilst preserving environmental services and coping with climate change.
- Provide a platform for development organizations, farmer associations, civil society, private sector and research organizations to communicate and interact for greater and equitable impact on food security and value chain development.
- Discuss effective policy instruments and investments at national, regional and continental levels for sustainable smallholder and agri-business development to boost Africa’s rice sector.
24 October 2013.
ROPPA, CRCOPR, Oxfam, Agricord, SNV and VECO sponsored a session on "Increasing synergy between actors in the West African Rice sector and increasing future supplies to cities".
See programme of the conference:
Presentations around innovation and multi stakeholder rice platforms
- A multi-stakeholder network to plan sustainable development of rice in Chad: page 49
- Les plates-formes multi-acteurs, un processus d’apprentissage pour orienter les activités de recherche : cas des bas-fonds du Mali-Sud, page 69
- Innovation systems: Making science work for farmers. Bridging the gap between science and farmers.
- (Ton Dufour ICRA) page 85.
- Multi-stakeholder platforms as a process of innovation and learning: An experiment on integral and sustainable farming in inland valleys page 101
- Do current ICTs ﬁll the gender gap in agricultural knowledge transfer? Evidence from ﬁve African countries. p. 145
- Effectiveness of an innovation platform in managing rice disease in Togo, p. 160
- Commercialization of the rice value chain by linking smallholders to downstream agri-businesses in Mozambique, p. 175
- Improving rice stakeholders’ ability to articulate agricultural research for-development needs: The Users-Led Process (ULP) of the Platform for African-European Partnerships in Agricultural Research for Development, J. Mugabe (PAEPARD), p.187
- Actors in the rice value chain: from seeds to produce, p.202
- Making science work for farmers: The role of farmer groups, p.204
- Farmer-to-farmer training videos strengthen institutional relationships, p.213
- Rice value chain analysis: The case of Western Province, Kenya, p.215
- Assessing impact of video and rural radio on building capital assets with smallholder rice processors in Benin among radio stations, extension services and farmers, p.280
Prof. Eric Tollens, AfricaRice Board Member, and Professor Emeritus of Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium speaks about his expectations for the 3rd Africa Rice Congress, 21-24 October 2013, in Yaoundé, Cameroon
Dr Yo Tiemoko, Board Member of AfricaRice, Former Director General, CNRA, Côte d'Ivoire, speaks about his expectations for the 3rd Africa Rice Congress, 21-24 October 2013, in Yaoundé, Cameroon.