8-10 February 2017. Berlin. The German capital hosted a leading industry fair to attract people for the global fresh produce trade.
Fruit Logistica has so far attracted over 50,000 visitors from 120 countries. Visitors are able to sample the latest technology of fruits and vegetables from more than 3,000 international exhibitors.
The winner of the fair is chosen by visitors, who are invited to cast their vote for the innovation of the year, on the first two days of the exhibition. Fruit Logistica was launched in 1993 in response to an industry demand and has seen impressive development ever since. One of the innovations seen at the fair is a pioneering sales vending machine, which offers instant apple juice in a cup.
12 ACP countries were represented (South Africa, Bénin, Burkina Faso, Cameroun, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Mali, Maurice, Rwanda, Sénégal, Sudan).
COLEACP presented its new programme: Fit For Market (FMM).
The FRUTIC Symposium, an international scientific symposium included over 50 scientific presentations and aims to provide a platform for sharing information between experts from the research community and the fresh produce sector.
Extract of the programme
- Fungal development and associated rot and mycotoxins during ethylene supplemented controlled atmosphere storage of sweet potato Sulaiman Sowe, Cranfield University, United Kingdom
- Electrolyzed sodium bicarbonate against citrus green mold: inhibition of penicillium digitatum and induction of fruit defences Antonio Ippolito, University of Bari, Italy
Four additional events took place during the trade fair with a focus on current and future challenges in the industry:
- the Logistics Hub, offered growers, exporters and retailers information on logistical decisions for transporting their products;
- the Future Lab, presented concepts that in a matter of years will significantly optimise the value chain;
- the Fresh Produce Forum focused on the latest industry questions with viable answers provided by experts
- and finally the Tech Stage, which focused on technical solutions for the industry.