8 July 2023. It is a tradition of the African Union (AU) to celebrate African Integration during July of
every year. The premier event for showcasing the successes achieved so far on the integration journey is the Boma of Africa, which this year was hosted in hybrid format and streamed from the Headquarters of the African Union Commission (AUC) in partnership with AfroChampions.
The emphasis of Boma 2023 was the signing of the 4D Pact (pact.4DCorridor.org) by leading Pan-African institutions.
"The 4D Initiative, bolstered by the Trillion Dollar Fund announced in 2020, will play a crucial role in fostering collaboration and propelling scientists, startups, and innovators to new heights. By channeling investments into sectors such as biotech, gene editing, genomics, and artificial intelligence, the initiative aims to have a game-changing impact on health, trade, local manufacturing, and job creation. The goal is to shape a greener continent and create climate-smart jobs through an innovation-driven marketplace."
The opening session featured prominent speakers, including
- H.E. Azali Assoumani, President of the Union of the Comoros and Chairperson of the African Union,
- H.E. Nana Akufo-Addo, President of the Republic of Ghana and the African Union Champion on Financial Institutions,
- H.E. Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa,
- H.E. Sahle-Work Zewde, President of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia,
- H.E. Olusegun Obasanjo, former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and African Union High Representative for the Horn of Africa region,
- H.E. Dr. Monique Nsanzabaganwa, Deputy Chairperson of the African Union Commission
- H.E. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization.
A diverse range of speakers, including
- Ms. Nardos Bekele-Thomas, CEO of AUDA-NEPAD,
- Amb. Albert Muchanga, AU Commissioner for Economic Development, Trade, Tourism, Industry & Mining,
- Mr. Wamkele Mene, Secretary General of the AfCFTA Secretariat,
- Dr. Jean Kaseya, Director General of Africa CDC,
- Mr. Mamadou Biteye, Executive Secretary of ACBF,
- Tidjane Thiam, AU Special Envoy & Executive Chair of Freedom Acquisition Corporation
- Mr. Adefunke Adeyemi, Secretary General of AFCAC,
- Professor Lise Korsten President-elect African Academy of Sciences (AAS)
African Academy of Sciences (AAS)