10 - 11 February 2015. Brussels. The European Commission Directorate general for Agriculture and rural development, in collaboration with Directorates in charge of Research and innovation, Climate action and the Joint research Centre organised a research workshop on 'climate-smart agriculture' on . The workshop assembled around 65 participants from the research community, stakeholders' organisations and international institutions and networks.
The objective was to identify research gaps and prioritise research needs regarding agriculture in relation to climate change. The opening session provided the audience with a variety of presentations (see infra). After that, participants worked in parallel sessions on:
- Carbon cycle,
- Nitrogen cycle and
- Water and abiotic stresses.
Presentations from the introductive plenary session are available below:
Setting the scene:
- Impacts of Agriculture on Climate Change - F. Tubiello - IPCC WG III / FAO
- Impacts of Climate Change on Agriculture - J.-F. Soussana - IPCC WG II / FACCE - INRA
Overview on past agriculture and climate change research activities:
- FP7 and H2020: societal challenge 2 - M. Burioni, DG RTD
- FP7 and H2020: societal challenge 5 - A. Kentarchos, DG RTD
- Joint Research Centre activities - A. Leip, S. Niemeyer, JRC
- Climate Change and policy needs for research - G. Tsouris, DG CLIMA