Platform for African – European Partnership in Agricultural Research for Development

Monday, November 28, 2022

The Food Bridge Chefs of Diversity

26 November 2022. Brussels. This event was an initiative of the Food Bridge vzw funded by the International solidarity Department of the city of Brussels Belgium 

The kitchen is a learning space, so an inclusive kitchen that lets in diversity, offers insight into broader issues in the food system such as sustainability, biodiversity, hunger, food waste climate change, deforestation and many others.

Hybrid discussion panel with innovative chefs of migrant origin working in Belgium.
The Chefs discussed their journey through the Belgian horeca sector, their achievements, what worked for them and also the challenges. Of interest is how their work has been influenced by their background; if there is a place for input from ethnic food cultures in European cooking methods to create something new - a fusion cuisine. They also be discussed how their work addresses some of the social challenges in the country and in the global food system.

Cooking classes 
The goal was for the chefs to educate and inspire people with recipes for healthy and sustainable consumption. This broadened the culinary horizons of the participants, showing them how to use some of the available but unknown healthy ingredients that are on sale in Brussels stores, can be used.

Banquet
This cooking portion was followed by a multicultural six-course banquet prepared by immigrant chefs and cooks.

Resources:

Diaspora, Food and Identity Nigerians migrants in Belgium

This book examines the connection between food and identity in the Nigerian diaspora community in Belgium. Encounters between people from different cultures do not lead to a simple adaptation of the diet, but usually give rise to some kind of fusion of new and indigenous food habits. The author questions the relationship between what Nigerian migrants in the diaspora eat, their self-perception and how they engage with outsiders. Starting with a historical introduction about the country, this study examines what aspects of the Nigerian food culture is retained and what has changed.

Cooking has allowed me to be visible, lively, passionate and exciting for gourmets. Wherever I went, I had to talk about cooking to feel like I existed. Cooking allows me to talk to people, I could tell you so many things with a coco-passion fruit seafood fricassee. Things I can't say with words. 

Through this book, I will deliver messages to you using local African and Senegalese foods in particular and, I will also tell you how and in what circumstances these recipes were created and thought out, thanks to small anecdotes that I have carefully slipped into the book. 

These recipes illustrate my passion for local African products, they tell of my journey and my desire to take care while reconnecting with my roots. It is also the kitchen that brought me back to my origins, as one would bring back a child who has run away. I realized that some of the products I was pushing back were actually exceptional products, both in taste and health. Welcome to Suzanne's Kitchen!



Highlight:

Kipeps - Distributor of Afro-Caribbean delicatessen

"Taste the Afro-Caribbean touch" KIPEPS is a distributor specializing in Afro-Caribbean delicatessen for Belgian businesses.

Product Category

No comments:

Post a Comment