exploring vegetarianism in African food cultures.
This event was organized by The Food Bridge vzw in collaboration with FAAB vzw, the BigPicnic project, O'Marche and GC De Platoo.
The Food Bridge vzw’s projects
Vegetarianism (or vegan) is one word that many still think is not synonymous with the African cuisine.
However, like most trends or lifestyles across the globe, vegetarianism is gradually becoming a part of the African food culture. This is more prevalent though, in diaspora communities and urban areas of Africa. Although some argue that African diet has always been predominantly vegetarian, others are keen to point out that Africans eating plant
based diets in most cultures, is not a choice but a necessity because they lack the means to acquire meat.
- The evening started with a discussion on "how strange is vegetarian (and vegan) diets in the African food culture"? by Jutta Kleber- the BigPicnic Project
- Testimony of an African vegan, by Steve Ngabo
- There was be a presentation of some African recipes by Nancy Kawaya – O’marche and Maureen Duru, The Food Bridge vzw.
- This was be followed by dinner and drinks.
- Promoting Food Cultures - Africana Flavours and Food Talks
- Supporting African Entrepreneurship – African Diaspora Projects Initiative
- Promoting conservation of indigenous food crops and plants Network of Indigenous Food Systems
- Feeding the homeless and vulnerable – The Helping Hand Project