1st July, 2021 hosted a Pre- United Nations Food System Summit 2021 Dialogue for African Heads of State and Governments.
The Summit brought together key players from the worlds of science, business, policy, healthcare and academia, as well as farmers, indigenous people, youth organizations, consumer groups, environmental activists, and other key stakeholders. Before, during and after the summit, these actors will come together to agree on key actions to bring about tangible, positive changes to the world’s food systems.
This Heads of State Summit builds on a series of Food Systems dialogue events that have been organised at country level and have generated a number of recommendations for delivering bold new actions to deliver progress on all the 17 SDGs by 2030.Convened by RUFORUM, Dialogue was addressed by, amongst others: H.E. Dr Qu Dongyu, FAO Director General.
- Documentary: The Africa I want (4 Minutes)
- Welcome address by the President of Malawi: H.E Prof Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera
Session 2: Statements from RUFORUM, AUC, FAO and UN Secretary General Special Envoy
- Prof George Kanyama-Phiri, RUFORUMBoard Chair
- Statement from African Union Commission Chair H.E Moussa Faki Mahamat
- Statement from FAO Director General H.E. Dr. Qu Dongyu
- Statement from United Nations Secretary General Special Envoy & President of AGRA H.E Dr Agnes Kalibata
Session 3: Perspectives from selected African Heads of State and Governments & African Development Bank
- Perspective from the President of DRC and Chairperson of the African Union H.E Félix Antoine Tshisekedi
- Perspective from the President of Benin H.E Patrice Guillaume Athanase Talon
- Perspective from the President of Ghana H.E Nana Akufo-Addo
- Perspective from the President of Kenya H.E Uhuru Kenyatta
- Perspective from the President of Liberia H.E George Weah
- Perspective from the President of Mozambique H.E. Filipe Jacinto Nyusi
- Perspective from the President of Namibia H.E Dr. Hage Gottfried Geingob (TBC) 1725--1735 Perspective from the President of Rwanda H.E Paul Kagame
- Perspective from the President of Sierra Leone H.E Julius Maada Bio
- Perspective from the President of South Africa H.E Cyril Ramaphosa
- Perspective from the President of Sudan H.E Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan
- Perspective from the President of Uganda H.E Yoweri Kaguta Museveni
- Perspective from the President of Zambia H.E Edgar Lungu
- Perspective from the President of Zimbabwe H.E Emmerson Mnangagwa
- Statement from African Development
Bank AFDB Leila Makaddem, African Development Bank
"Africa's Agri-business potential is estimated to increase employment and contribute more than 30% to Africa's income. Agri-business should be a priority to African Governments and therefore we have to invest in agriculture and research."
Presentation of Summit Declaration
- Declaration Statement Malawi Minister of Education Hon. Agnes Makonda NyaLonje
- Open Discussion
- Vote of Thanks Prof Adipala Ekwamu, RUFORUM Executive Secretary
- Concluding Remarks by the Summit Host, The President of Malawi H.E Prof Lazarus McCarthy Chakwera