9 June 2021. The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) Executive Secretary Prof Adipala Ekwamu is one of the 100 UN Food Systems Champions. This is a recognition that there is a key role for Universities in Africa, Science Technology and Innovations in the Agri-Food Sector and for attainment of the SDGs.
RUFORUM convenes therefore a series of national and regional meetings of various key stakeholders to dialogue on the key issues and needed action to strengthen Food Systems in Africa.
A key group are policy leaders at various level but especially African Ministers, African Union Commission, Food and Agriculture Organization and African Development Partners such as the European Union, United States Department of Agriculture, World Bank, amongst others.
- Hon. Dr. Itah Kandjii Murangi, Minister for Higher Education Training and Innovation, Namibia - Moderator
- Prof Adipala Ekwamu, RUFORUM Executive Secretary - Background to the UN Food Systems Summit 2021 and the National, Regional and Continental dialogues
- H.E. Josefa Leonel Correia Sacko, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture, AUC - Official Opening address
- Daniel Whitley, Acting Administrator of the Foreign Agricultural Services, USA - Renewed commitment for US-Africa partnership on agricultural advancement in Africa
- Dr. Leonard Mizzi, Directorate General (DG) for International Cooperation and Development - Rural development, food security and nutrition, European Commission - Perspective from European Union Commission
- Dr. Simeon Ehui, World Bank Regional Director for Sustainable Development (Agriculture, Environment, Social, Water, Urban and Climate), West and Central Africa - World Bank efforts to rebuild and strengthen agricultural development and food systems in Africa and globally
- Prof. Abebe Haile-Gabriel, FAO Assistant Director-General and Regional Representative for Africa - Key Note address: Current status of food systems in Africa and implication for poverty, food and nutritional security in the continent
- Prof Theresia Nkuo-Akenji, RUFORUM Deputy Board Chair & Vice Chancellor, University of Bamenda, Cameroon - Statement from African Universities
- Brief country statements (3-5 minutes maximum) on current status of food systems and emerging key issues for consideration by the UN Food Systems Summit and African Union Commission
- Mrs Erica Maganga, Principal Secretary for Agriculture, Government of Malawi - Presentation and discussion on the Ministers draft communique
- 10 June 2021. RUFORUM RUFORUM North Africa and Middle East Dialogue
- 2 June 2021. RUFORUM Global Dialogue of Higher Education, Research and Advisory Services Networks and selected Actors.
- 1 June 2021. RUFORUM RUFORUM Youths Global Dialogue
- 27 May 2021. RUFORUM Dialogue with Government Technocrats
- 26 May 2021. RUFORUM Central Africa Dialogue
- 20 May 2021. RUFORUM RUFORUM Vice Chancellors Forum
- 17 May 2021. RUFORUM Eastern and Southern Africa Dialogue